Jamaica Cottage Shop

Sunday, February 9, 2014

Deek, David Stiles, and Joe Everson team up on a "Transforming A-Frame Cabin"

"Affordable, Transforming A-Frame Vacation Cabin Only Costs $1200 to Build"

Details on the full plan set for this cabin is below… BUY THE PLANS HERE (click here)
Above: (A Rustic Version) The A-frame in "expansion mode"- without its rolled mosquito nets dropped yet. 
We'll have a few photos here, but Steven Harrell of www.TinyHouseListings.com will have MANY more soon...

So, quite a ways back, since I had befriended the NYC author/architect duo David and Jeanie Stiles ((who have written countless books on building sheds, cabins, tree houses, tiny houses, and forts), and who later went on to write the foreword in the re-released version of my book "Humble Homes, Simple Shacks")), I approached David with the idea of a cabin-design, or plan-set, team up.

"David, I'll design the cabin, give you a bunch of specs and the layout details in my sketch work, and you give it the Stiles' artwork touch and make it into a more readable plan set. How 'bout it?" I asked.

"Lets do it", he replied. (Check out the work of David and Jeanie Stiles at www.StilesDesigns.com- GREAT stuff!)

Below: One of the later pages of the plans, showing a cutaway for bed, sink, and rainwater catchment placement….


Months and months later, as, well, we're both just a little bit busy with other projects, the plan set is now done, a prototype/1st version of the cabin has actually been built (in fact you'll see it at our Memphis, TN-area HANDS-ON, three day tiny house building and design workshop- April 11-13th), AND we shot a full video tour of that very cabin, which we'll have very soon on my youtube channel. www.youtube.com/relaxshacksDOTcom

Meanwhile, here's a glimpse or two of the plans (11 pages in all- with another SIXTEEN full page photos to help you along too), which are now up and available as a downloadable version. We'll probably have a print version available too, or if you want one, email me at kidcedar at gmail.com.

"The Transforming A-Frame Cabin"- Plans/Design by Derek "Deek" Diedricksen, sketches/renderings by David Stiles. 

The idea was to keep it AFFORDABLE to build, EASY and QUICK to build, and to have it so that it could be altered for different uses, or added to, rather effortlessly.

The total cost for a cabin like this, soup to nuts, is right around $1200- and that's using city lumber pricing, meaning, elsewhere, it'd cost less to build. Add in some salvaged, free, or recycled materials, and you could EASILY build this under $1000.

The plans, should you choose to pick up a set, also recommend, and explain, some other versions, or changes that could be made, so as to include more space, a bathroom, a larger loft, an easy addition/extension, and so on.


The cabin's main base is 80 Square Feet (10' wide, by 8' deep). When its roof opens up and its legs are dropped down to transform one end of it into a porch with roll/drop-down mosquito nets that velcro in place, the cabin increases to 110 square feet.

The standing room under the micro loft is 6' 5", and while the loft is mainly intended for storage, you can fit/sleep one person in it if you like- I've done it.



If you'd like to support us and pick up a plan set….

-Downloadable PDF version- 11 pages of plan sets and instructions, and 16 full page photos to help you along your path. You also have an open link to ask us questions during your build. 
$29.95

-PRINT VERSION of the plans- mailed to your door….

US mailed- $40.00
Canada- $45.00
No Overseas for Print Versions- sorry…. its just too expensive to ship, and requires too much paperwork

A BIG THANKS, I might add, goes to Joe Everson, of www.TennesseeTinyHomes.com and www.TinyHappyHomes.com. This is the very first time ever that I designed a cabin and didn't actually build it myself- I just didn't have the time. Joe and his crew built this cabin, in record time, did a fantastic job, and have allowed us to leave it on site of his tiny house workshop/compound in Tennessee, so that students at our April workshop (2014) will be able to see it- alongside 5/6 other cabins.


Again- this cabin will be one of SIX or so that you'll get to see/tour at our HAND-ON TINY HOUSE BUILDING AND DESIGN WORKSHOP near MEMPHIS, TN- April 11-13th. We'll build THREE STRUCTURES together, hear from some incredible speakers, authors, bloggers, builders, architects, and designers, AND take a field trip to Beale Street one night!
There's LIMITED SPACE- so before April 11th, 2014, sign up at the banner on the top of ANY page on www.relaxshacks.com


-Derek "Deek" Diedricksen

34 comments:

  1. Wow! Truly a meeting of the minds, thank you for sharing this and what a cool design and prototype - awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOOOOOOOOOOVE it!
    If I could build in a lil bathroom, and maybe even TufTex that porch for colder months... I could totally live in that. Thanks Deek.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheri!- there is a recommended bathroom suggestion with the plan set- and we talk about permanently enclosing the porch too….and how you could….

      Delete
    2. That makes it even more awesomesauce!

      Delete
  3. gosh I would love to be able to learn to make this a-frame!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Deborah- its really pretty simple, that's why I went for an A-frame for the first plan set I'm offering- affordable, and really hard to mess up….

      Delete
    2. Are the main wooden boards 2x6 pieces or are they another type?

      Delete
  4. That's adorable! I would love to have this be my first cabin build - can a beginner do this? I have basic skills - I made sweet triple bunk beds from 2x4's and 1x3's, and can follow a recipe :) Is that enough? Would this little triangle be happy in cold Canadian climate for 3 season use?

    Thaks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to see this baby in April! Sooo cool!��

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would definitely consider it however I would definitely require more storage room and a private area for a bath room and a tub.
    Living with a woman it takes a greater deal more space.
    However it does give a great many ideas on the basis and example on how a frame buildings are made.
    Reminds me of a temp agency building that i once visited.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought the plans I was wondering if you have a materials list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, none as of now, as we figured its so basic, you can literally count the boards- I'll ask David to whip one up soon though, and we can try to add it, and whatever else. Keep an eye out….

      Delete
    2. I'll buy plans as soon as materials list ready. You may consider that basic but some of us need a lot of help!

      Delete
    3. John- I drafted up a materials list, so if you do buy the plans, email me after, and I'll send it right away…. thanks!

      Delete
  8. I just ordered the plans and I can't wait to get started. I'm going to build one in my back yard and then maybe as a writing room at our cabin inthe olympic mountains in wa state. I'll keep you posted. How long till the plans are e-mailed after paypal payment"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the plans are auto-emailed as soon as you pay- if there's a problem email me. thanks Laura!

      Delete
  9. Just purchased and downloaded the plans, but am not seeing a materials list. Am I just not seeing the list, or is it not included? Thanks. ~Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Email me- we just recently added them. We never initially had a list, as we didn't think it was necessary- the cabin is so small and simple that one could just count the framing members, etc. I'll gladly send one though- send me an email at kidcedar@gmail.com

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A-Frames are just lovely we built ours in the rain forest in The island of Tobago, 2700 square feet. My children and wife love it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i don't see this tiny A Frame on http://tinyhouselistings.com...

    You have more photos ?

    ReplyDelete
  13. We really loved you article, thank you for a great website blog Regards Shelfa @
    Kitchens GoldCoast

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  15. Does this transport easily? I attend a 2 week camping event every summer and am only allotted a 12x12 footprint. This is well within those limits and seems less leaky than a tent.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just a note to say the design is really cool but the link to stilesdesigns is wrong. You left off the m at the end.

    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Details on the full plan set for this cabin is below… ... simple-houseplans.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. "Affordable, Transforming A-Frame Vacation Cabin Only Costs ... inexpensiveframedartprints.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. "Affordable, Transforming A-Frame Vacation Cabin Only Costs ... 4framedprints.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. "Affordable, Transforming A-Frame Vacation Cabin Only Costs ... framedartwork.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I assume for the most part this could be built offsite and transported for final assembly. Thinking of a small lake retreat with maybe two of these(one for the kids and one for me and the wife) :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. is there a shower/toilet option...and is this portable?

    thx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We talk about ideas for one, and some are building this/tweaking it a bit to make it portable, yes- I could lend some ideas/advice as well

      Delete